BLOOD IN THE BAG

Amanda Iaryea, 23, looks over at Andy Crews, a blood donor technician, to see how to squeeze her fist while she gives blood for the first time in the LifeSouth van by Century Tower on Wednesday. The UF Summer graduate student, who’s working toward a Master’s degree in public health, said she decided to donate because she saw that they’re in a time of emergency need.

Tuesday is World Blood Donor Day, and LifeSouth is celebrating with a superhero-themed, weeklong blood drive.

Bloodmobiles will be on Turlington Plaza, Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., said Laura Bialeck, the LifeSouth North Florida district community development coordinator.

“This year’s focus is on first-time and young blood donors,” she said. “It was perfect to introduce on campus.”

Each mobile blood center contains snacks, juice and T-shirts for all donors, she said.

Each donor can provide blood every 56 days, Bialeck said.

Donors will be entered to win prizes each day, including restaurant gift cards, theme park tickets and a full makeover from Eden Michele Salon, she said. Anyone who donates in June will also be entered to win a new scooter from Campus Scooters.

During the Summer semester, the center suffers a dramatic decrease in the amount of blood donations, she said.

“There just aren’t enough donors on campus during the Summer,” she said. “We struggle to get 10 donors a day.”

Only 5 percent of eligible donors choose to donate blood, she said.

“The No. 1 reason people won’t donate is because they’re afraid of needles,” Bialeck said. “Every time I donate there’s always that moment of apprehension.”

Matthew Elias, a UF industrial and systems engineering fourth-year, said he has given blood eight times.

“People need blood,” he said. “It’s a simple thing, and if I can provide that, then why not donate?”