Train like a Gator: Former football player offers online fitness

<p>Todd McCullough poses for a photo.</p>

Todd McCullough poses for a photo.

Students can now work out like a Gator. 

Todd McCullough, a former UF linebacker, has created an online exercise program called TMAC Fitness that allows anyone to fit in a daily heart-pumping workout. 

After playing football for the Gators from 2001 to 2005, McCullough spent years studying yoga.

“I have been able to blend the two worlds of athletic training and yoga together,” he wrote in an email.

He said the TMAC Fitness workouts are designed for people who lead hectic lives and want to see real results. All you need is 20 minutes, and there is no equipment necessary. All of the workouts are available for free at tmacfitness.com.

McCullough said his time on the football team played a significant role in the development of his TMAC Fitness programs.

“As an athlete, you train to be explosive,” he said. “I use explosive athletic movements throughout my 20-minute workout videos.” 

Carrie Mayes, a 21-year-old yoga instructor at the Southwest Recreation Center, said she agrees with McCullough’s methods. 

“Athletic training and yoga mix well,” the UF environmental engineering junior said, “because the intensity of training combined with stretching and strengthening of muscle tissue allows for the muscles to become healthier, leaner and stronger while lessening the chance of injury.”

McCullough said the most valuable skill he learned at UF was time management.

“When you are studying for a finance test and you have to prepare to beat FSU, there is no time to mess around,” he said. “My workout program is derived from this philosophy. Every move, every rep is designed to get results in the most efficient way possible.”

[A version of this story ran on page 4 on 2/12/2015 under the headline “Train like a Gator: Former football player offers online fitness"]

Todd McCullough poses for a photo.