Naked Juice settles GMO class-action lawsuit, consumers can be reimbursed

Naked Juice may be leaving its customers feeling a little less bare after the conclusion of a class action legal settlement, and UF students may reap the benefits.

The company, a subsidiary of PepsiCo, advertises its products using phrases like “100% Fruit,” “All Natural” and “Non-GMO.”

Recently, plaintiffs in the lawsuit settled out of court with PepsiCo about false labeling of the beverages, according to the website for the lawsuit. The suit alleges that some of the ingredients used in several of the products are not as pure as advertised, including genetically modified soy.

But UF students like Otto Akin, a 21-year-old economics senior, were unmoved.

“I understand it’s false advertising, but it doesn’t bother me that they use genetically modified soy in their products,” he said. “I don’t necessarily equate safety with organic like some people do.”

As part of the settlement, Naked customers can apply for up to $75 in reimbursement for qualifying products with proof of purchase. Without it, customers can still net up to $45.

But along with this consumer friendly format comes worries of fraud.

“It sounds a bit easily gamed,” said Akin. “You can just go on there, some random person, and get $45?”

Frank Torres, a 20-year-old business management junior, said he agrees that the easy money could be tempting to students.

“I’d take the money,” he said. “I’m fairly certain I’ve bought Naked Juice sometime in the last few years.”

The wide scope of the claim, for any individuals who purchased Naked Juice between Sept. 27, 2007, and Aug. 19, 2013, leaves plenty of room for guessing over whether or not an individual purchased the drink, said Torres.

But Akin, unlike many of his peers, said he probably won’t take advantage of the deal.

“I’d feel bad,” he said. “I’m interested in the story but not in making $45 from Pepsi.”

A version of this story ran on page 5 on 9/12/2013 under the headline "Naked Juice bares consequences of lawsuit, compensates customers"