<p>Facebook is spending $1 billion to buy Instagram, a photo-sharing phone app.</p>

Facebook is spending $1 billion to buy Instagram, a photo-sharing phone app.

Facebook expanded its network and dominance over social media Monday by purchasing mobile photo-sharing app Instagram for about $1 billion. Some UF students and faculty said the purchase made sense, though it raises questions about how the collaboration will work.

According to a Facebook news release, Instagram will continue to exist, despite the new ownership.

“We’re committed to building and growing Instagram independently,” said Mark Zuckerberg, founder and CEO of Facebook, in the release.

Tory Polwin, a 22-year-old telecommunication and political science senior, said the partnership could make the photo-sharing process quicker and easier for people already sharing their Instagram photos on Facebook.

“I definitely see the connection because Facebook is all about pictures,” Polwin said. “That’s why a lot of people go on Facebook.”

UF journalism assistant professor Amy Zerba said the partnership made sense but she was worried Facebook and Instagram are used by different audiences.

“It will be interesting because you do have those people who really want to break away from Facebook and have something a little bit different,” she said.

She said the cost of the buyout is Instagram’s individuality.

“I kind of wish these great start-ups could make it on their own without being gobbled up by these big giants,” she said. “I just wonder what is next for Facebook.”