<p>Joe Furlott, 20, Shyamal Patel, 21, and Derek Brown, 21, a group of UF computer sciences juniors work on an Android application during Hackathon, a 24-hour event at Hackerspace on Saturday. Participants worked for a shot to win $500.</p>

Joe Furlott, 20, Shyamal Patel, 21, and Derek Brown, 21, a group of UF computer sciences juniors work on an Android application during Hackathon, a 24-hour event at Hackerspace on Saturday. Participants worked for a shot to win $500.

After a 24-hour designing and programming competition, TXT TAG will have a new mobile application and an improved website that allows users to send messages by only knowing a license plate tag.

The new app was developed during a hackathon competition this weekend at the Gainesville Hackerspace, located at 101 SE Second Place, Suite 100.

Good Ol’ Original Design Inc. hosted the event with three teams working to develop a TXT TAG app for iPhone and Android devices and an improved website.

Matthew Carroll narrowly beat another five-person team by himself to win a $500 cash prize for his Android app design.

Carroll, a 24-year-old mobile developer, said he was excited to win.

“It feels great,” he said. “Honestly, after seeing the other presentations, I didn’t think I would.”

Katie Russ, 23, and Sam Sewall, 20, won for their TXT TAG Web app.

Although several people signed up for the iOS app competition, none participated.

Eric L. Pheterson, a 24-year old UF aerospace and mechanical engineering alumnus and chief executive officer for Good Ol’ Original Design Inc., said the app developed from the competition will allow users to contact car owners who may be blocking them in a parking lot or have left their headlights on.

He said his company plans to partner with University Police so officers can use the app to warn drivers of parking violations.

Pheterson said the new Android app should be launched by either the end of the week or the beginning of next week.