Two UF football players arrested on charges of criminal mischief

<p>Wells (left) and Cleveland (right)</p>

Wells (left) and Cleveland (right)

University Police arrested two freshman football players Monday morning after authorities said they shot at a residence hall with a BB gun four days earlier.

At about 6:45 p.m. Friday, Rick Wells and Tyrie Cleveland, both 18, shot at Building Four of the Keys Residential Complex, located across the street from James G. Pressly Stadium, while people were inside, according to a police report.

About five hours later, an officer responded to a call about damaged property at the complex, where he found a shattered glass door and two shattered windows nearby, according to the report.

The tempered glass panels, which were valued at more than $1,000 in total, had small round holes in them, according to the report.

The officer later watched a surveillance video and then interviewed the men, who both said they shot at the building with a BB gun, which they gave to the officer, according to the report.

It is not currently known what motivated Wells and Cleveland to shoot at the building, said Maj. Brad Barber, a spokesman for UPD.

Police arrested Wells and Cleveland on charges of criminal mischief and firing a missile into a dwelling. Authorities took the men to the Alachua County Jail where, as of press time, they remain without bonds.

Cleveland, a native of Jacksonville, was one of the nation’s most sought-after receivers and the top-rated pass catcher in Florida’s 2016 signing class.

Wells, also from Jacksonville, is also among UF’s four freshman receivers in the 2016 class.

Ian Cohen contributed to this report.

Wells (left) and Cleveland (right)