<p class="p1">Police stand on West University Avenue after a man and woman were struck by a car while crossing the street without a signal Friday night.</p>

Police stand on West University Avenue after a man and woman were struck by a car while crossing the street without a signal Friday night.

Two people tried to cross West University Avenue toward UF’s campus late Friday night before police said they were struck by an eastbound vehicle near The Swamp Restaurant.

The traffic light was not red when the man and woman walked into the street, and evidence suggests they both smashed into the oncoming vehicle’s windshield before landing on the roadway, according to a report.

Gainesville Police spokesman Officer Ben Tobias said the woman was conscious and alert with obvious head injuries at the scene. Large amounts of blood pooled from the back of the man’s head as he gradually lost consciousness.

UF Health Shands Hospital reported to police that both pedestrians were stable and likely to be OK.

After the victims were transported to the hospital, the Ford Focus with a shattered windshield illuminated a small puddle of blood with its headlights.

A single sandal laid nearby.

Ayla Morales, a UF public relations junior, got a glimpse of the aftermath while out with friends.  

“I felt like I was in a movie,” Morales, 20, said. “I felt like I wasn’t allowed to be there.”

Traffic on West University Avenue and Northwest 17th Street was shut down for about two hours. Police said the driver does not face any violations.