The 2013 hurricane season starts Saturday, and experts are predicting a stormy six months.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Atlantic hurricane season outlook estimated a 70 percent likelihood of up to 20 named storms, of which up to 11 could become hurricanes — including up to six Category 3s, 4s or 5s. The average, according to its website, is 12 named storms, six hurricanes and three major ones.

“This hurricane season is expected to be more severe than past years,” said Mike Spranger, a UF Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences professor in family, youth and community sciences who created a handbook about preparing for natural disasters.

UF emergency management coordinator Kenneth Allen said people should prepare by creating emergency evacuation plans, buying supplies and stocking up on at least three days’ worth of food and water.

In the event of a hurricane at UF, Allen said, on-campus residents living in dorms should follow the advice of their housing staff. Off-campus residents should follow protocols and guidelines from local officials.

“The university is constantly working to keep the students, faculty and staff as safe and well-prepared as we can,” Allen said.

UF will only cancel classes and close the campus if there is a real danger, university spokesman Steve Orlando said. He said because UF is about 70 miles from the coast, storms in the past haven’t hit Gainesville too hard.

“I feel that UF has a vast number of structures that can withstand hurricane-force winds,” said 21-year-old UF English senior Josh Olin.

Spranger said it is essential for students to be ready for hurricane season — the worst stretch of which occurs from August to October.

“Follow your instincts and always know you can never be too prepared for a natural disaster,” Spranger said. “Plan for the worst. Hope for the best.”