<p align="justify">Pedro Bravo sits with his counsel in the Alachua County Courthouse on Monday, the first day of his trial. Bravo is accused of first-degree murder, kidnapping, poisoning, mishandling human remains and giving false reports.</p>

Pedro Bravo sits with his counsel in the Alachua County Courthouse on Monday, the first day of his trial. Bravo is accused of first-degree murder, kidnapping, poisoning, mishandling human remains and giving false reports.

The long-awaited trial of Pedro Bravo begins today at 9 a.m.

The Santa Fe student is accused of murdering his friend Christian Aguilar, a UF student, in September 2012.

When Aguilar was first reported missing, by his girlfriend and Bravo, it launched a huge, community-wide search.

His body was found in the woods in Levy County a few weeks later.

Two years have passed, and Monday marked the first day in the criminal trial of Pedro Bravo.

He faces seven charges, from first degree murder to kidnapping, poisoning and the mishandling of human remains. He’s also charged with lying to police, tampering with evidence and providing false reports.

The trial is expected to last two weeks, said State Attorney’s Office spokesman Darry Lloyd.

The state of Florida, the prosecutor in the case, has 120 possible witnesses listed, he said.

The list is largely police officers but also includes medical examiners, Walmart loss-prevention specialists and Spyglass Apartment employees.

Monday’s jury selection ended with the state and defense in agreement over 12 jurors and two alternates.

Both parties had up to 10 opportunities to "strike" a juror out of the possible pool. The state used seven strikes, with one alternate strike. The defense used five strikes, as well as an alternate strike.

Bravo has pled not guilty, and the state is not seeking the death penalty.

To see past coverage, go to alligator.org/bravo. Follow @TheAlligator and the #BravoTrial hashtag on Twitter for live updates.

Pedro Bravo stands in court on Monday, the first day of his trial for the first-degree murder of Christian aguilar. He watches as his counsel and the prosecution pick 12 jurors and two alternates.