<p>Samuel B. Gause, 22, a chemistry graduate student, poses with his returned bike on Monday night.</p>

Samuel B. Gause, 22, a chemistry graduate student, poses with his returned bike on Monday night.

A UF student recovered his stolen bike Sunday night after coordinating a sting operation with Gainesville Police.

Samuel B. Gause, 22, a chemistry graduate student, realized early Sunday afternoon that his black IRO Angus road bike wasn't where he left it on Southwest Second Avenue two nights before, but after some Internet searching, he found it for sale on Craigslist.

"When I first saw the ad and decided I was going to call him, I got a little jittery," Gause said Monday.

He set up a meeting with the bicycle's supposed owner, not revealing that the bike was actually his. Then, Gause called police.

Collin D. Smith, 19, was arrested and charged with grand theft and dealing in stolen property by use of the Internet on Sunday night. He did not return a call requesting comment.

Gause said he paid about $700 for the bicycle, and he checked Craigslist in the off-chance whoever stole it was trying to sell it online. He found an ad: "A great IRO one-speed bike - $200."

The listing featured Smith's phone number and three pictures of Gause's bike.

He set up a meeting with Smith for 8:30 p.m. at the McDonald's on 1030 E University Ave., and he brought a friend with him in case he needed backup. He called GPD about five minutes before arriving.

"I didn't know who the guy was, whether he was violent or not," Gause said. "It was a little nerve-racking. When we first got there, we couldn't see the cops. I probably shouldn't have done it, but I did."

Smith, who is 5 feet 6 inches, 140 pounds, was charged with battery and burglary last year, according to the Alachua County Clerk of Court.

Gause said he didn't get a good look at Smith because he was trying to appear more interested in the bike than the salesman.

After Gause examined the bike for about 30 seconds, Officer Anton Lipski drove into the parking lot. Smith tried to run away but was caught, according to the arrest report.

Gause usually rides his bike two miles from his Creeks Edge condo to campus every day, but on Monday, he didn't. He needs to buy a new lock.

Still, he's not complaining.

"I thought for sure I wasn't getting it back," he said.