Members of UF science clubs faceoff at paintball match

Members of the physics and astrophysics clubs disagree with the chemistry club on a lot of things, among them being which science is superior and which group won the annual paintball match.

About 30 students from the three clubs went head to head in paintball Saturday to help determine which science is better.

The paintball challenge, which took place at First Strike Paintball in Newberry, is an annual challenge between the chemistry and physics clubs.

The event has gone on for over five years, said Ron Castellano, faculty adviser to the UF Chemistry Club and a UF chemistry professor.

This year, the Undergraduate Astrophysics Society joined the Society of Physics Students in the battle.

Peter Nguyen, president of the Society of Physics Students, said participation in the fight has been low in recent semesters but improved this year.

“We’ve decided to inject some excitement into it by issuing an all-out challenge,” Nguyen said.

The physics and astrophysics clubs went head-to-head with the chemistry club, but the winner of the final match remained unclear, with both teams claiming they won.

For most of the day students mingled with other club members and just enjoyed a day of paintball.

“Paintball is awesome,” said Lucas Medwell, a UF chemistry major. “It’s my first time playing, and I love it already.”