Officer cleared in shooting of local teen

The killing of a Gainesville man by an Alachua County Sheriff's deputy was ruled justifiable by a grand jury Tuesday.

Nicholous Vertex Weeks, 18, was shot several times by ASO Lt. Mike Hanson May 15 after force and the use of a Taser gun did not stop Weeks from attacking the deputy.

Hanson returned back to work on May 27, after he was cleared by the ASO Office of Professional Standards, said ASO spokesman Art Forgey.

Forgey said Gainesville Police Department was hired to conduct the criminal aspect of the investigation, but its findings are not yet complete.

"Were glad it's over with," Forgey said."There is no real winner. Now we have to pick up the pieces and move on."

At around 12:50 p.m. the day of the shooting, GPD received calls about a man and woman fighting in a car at the intersection of Northwest 34th Street and 39th Avenue.

Before GPD officers arrived at the scene, Hanson pulled up and tried to stop the fight.

After being Tasered, Weeks attempted to grab the deputy's gun. Hanson then shot Weeks several times, killing him on the scene, GPD spokesman Lt. Keith Kameg said. From about 9:30 a.m. to about 3 p.m., the jury listened to personal accounts of Hanson and the testimonies of multiple witnesses, said State Attorney Bill Cervone.

Cervone said the grand jury concluded that Weeks' death was a justifiable homicide.