State approves $69 million for spring restoration projects

<p>Nathan Gublis, 23, talks to his friend Wes Hay, 23, at Ginnie Springs Monday. The two drove with a group of friends from St. Petersburg to celebrate the long weekend.</p>

Nathan Gublis, 23, talks to his friend Wes Hay, 23, at Ginnie Springs Monday. The two drove with a group of friends from St. Petersburg to celebrate the long weekend.

David Lee knows Florida’s springs.

The 22-year-old UF environmental engineering senior has led a handful of Travel and Recreation Program journeys through the state’s waterways since January of last year.

So when the state legislature announced a $69 million surge in springs funding, Lee was pleased.

“It’s an awesome thing to see conservation happening around Florida,” he said. “It allows us to continue to do what we love and take people out and teach them about the environment.”

The Joint Legislative Budget Commission approved the multimillion-dollar conservation plan proposed by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection on Wednesday.

Approval of the funding increase green-lights the department’s 27-project plan to rejuvenate the springs, bringing the total amount of springs-conservation investments to more than $100 million in the past two years.

Projects scheduled in the springs restoration plan include assessing water quality in individual spring systems and fixing low-flowing rivers.

Mark Wray owns eight Florida springs in the Santa Fe River System, including Ginnie and Blue springs. Wray said evaluating water quality is the state’s biggest issue.

“What’s truly hurting the springs is agriculture, bar none,” Wray said. “That’s what we have to get a handle on. Nitrates and pesticides are having a huge impact.”

The Santa Fe River System, which includes 81 private and state-owned springs around northeast Florida, currently holds an Outstanding Florida Water designation from the DEP.

According to the department’s website, this designation is intended to protect the naturally exceptional quality of the water by prohibiting direct and indirect discharges that could lower the water’s quality.

“The state knows what the issues are; they just need to start fixing them,” Wray said. “Hopefully this money will help.”

[A version of this story ran on page 6 on 9/16/2014 under the headline "State approves $69 million for spring restoration projects"]