<p>Left to right: Marisa Dunkel, Meagan Kaufman, John Slate and Alison Carestia cruise in a GOTCHA Ride down University Avenue on the way to midtown Wednesday night.</p>

Left to right: Marisa Dunkel, Meagan Kaufman, John Slate and Alison Carestia cruise in a GOTCHA Ride down University Avenue on the way to midtown Wednesday night.

For at least one year, UF students' nighttime transportation options are expanding.

UF is entering a one-year contract with GOTCHA Ride, an electric-car taxi service that has operated in Gainesville since fall 2010.

The university will give the company $75,000 out of already-existing funds paid through the transportation access fee, money that also funds students' free RTS rides.

"It's helping them help students receive the benefits of their service," said Scott Fox, the director of UF's Transportation and Parking Services.

Starting in the last two weeks of Summer B, students will be able to access an expanded form of the current GOTCHA, which stands for Green Operated Transit Carrying Humanity Around, service on Thursday through Saturday 8 p.m. to 3 a.m.

The "Rides," as GOTCHA likes to refer to its electric-powered vehicles, will take students from campus to the downtown district and densely student-populated areas.

The money will help GOTCHA increase its current fleet from three cars to five, add a new charging station and hire new drivers.

GOTCHA does not charge for its rides, though it is customary to tip the driver. The arrangement will be the same under the new program.

The request for the service came from student government, Fox said.

Both UF and GOTCHA Ride are still working on the details of the arrangement, and the university will soon be developing a plan to market the program to students.