Work on Archer Road to start Monday

Drivers going to fill up on gas or grab a late-night snack at the McDonald's on Archer Road should expect lane closures starting next week.

Beginning Monday, the outside eastbound and westbound lanes at the intersection of Archer Road and Southwest 40th Boulevard will be closed Sundays through Thursdays from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. until Oct. 21.

During this time, construction crews will be installing new traffic signals at the intersection.

This construction is one of three parts of the Southwest 62nd Boulevard Connector Interim Projects, sponsored by the Alachua County Public Works department.

In addition to the new traffic signals, an extra turn lane will be added on Archer Road at the Southwest 40th Boulevard intersection, near the McDonald's and Exxon gas station, as well as sidewalks, bike lanes and streetlights.

The same additions are being put in place at the intersection of Southwest 43rd Street and Southwest 20th Avenue, near the Forest Park soccer fields and across from the Canopy apartment complex.

The projects are expected to be completed by January.