Police catch suspected ‘skimmer scammer'

A man was arrested in connection to a credit card-skimming scam, which recorded credit card information from customers at at least four Alachua County gas stations.

Luis Orlando Martinez Roque, 24, was arrested in Orange County on Tuesday and awaits extradition to Alachua County.

During a joint investigation by the Gainesville Police Department, the Alachua County Sheriff's Office and the United States Secret Service, Roque was identified as a suspect by surveillance video and witness accounts, according to a GPD press release. Roque is accused of using the stolen credit card numbers to buy gas and other items, the release stated.

The Orange County Sheriff's Office arrested him while he was sleeping in his girlfriend's house. He was found with two fraudulent cards yet to be linked with any known victims, the release stated.

Roque is charged with identity theft and scheme to defraud and is held on $100,000 bond.

Authorities continue to warn locals to use caution when paying for gas with credit cards. There is still a lot of work to be done while the investigation continues, the release stated.