Local artist displays dirty drawings at show

Penises, vaginas and breasts! Oh my!

These were the subjects of magic-marker drawings featured in local artist Tom Miller's art show Friday night at The Story House. "Paintings and Dirty Little Magic Marker Drawings," which featured 10 paintings and 45 drawings by Miller, was his first painting show in over 10 years.

While DJ Migraine mixed beats, guests drank wine and beer they brought themselves as they moved from one sexual, comical image to the next.

Miller said the drawings, which take him only a minute and a half to draw, fulfill his filthy need to entertain and freak people out.

While holding a bottled beer in one hand and a marker in the other, Miller drew a picture in three minutes, of an exaggeratedly large-headed man picking his nose. The caption read: "You can pick your … etc. etc. etc."

Miller later sat at an old typewriter and typed poetry with his index fingers.

"People who show their art at The Story House are very dedicated to what they do," said Wendy Michael, one of its owners.

Michael described Miller's art as witty and simple.

"I love that he can make something happen in a matter of three minutes," Michael said. "He's able to do it right on the fly."

Charles Ray Martin, who plays in the band The Righteous Kind with Miller, said he wasn't surprised by the sexual parody in Friday's show.

"It's something that we live every day, but don't talk much about," Martin said. "You see Tom Miller as an artist here, gifted, kooky and creative as hell."