A homeless Gainesville man was arrested Monday for kidnapping, sexually assaulting and forcing a woman into prostitution in a homeless camp.

Gainesville Police arrested Alphonso Perry Hinton, 41, for sexual assault, aggravated battery, forced prostitution and false imprisonment, according to Alachua County Jail booking logs.

In April, Hinton lured a 32-year-old woman, whose name wasn’t released, with force and threats to Tent City, where he imprisoned and sexually assaulted her from April 24 to May 14, said GPD spokesman Officer Ben Tobias.

Hinton beat and strangled the woman, police said. He also repeatedly raped and sodomized her.

According to a GPD arrest report, Hinton also forced the woman into prostitution for his own financial benefit. If she refused, Hinton would beat her until she complied.

Tobias said the woman was too scared to try to escape.

On May 14, the woman was able to escape and contact authorities, Tobias said. Police did not make an arrest because Hinton was in the hospital at the time.

Police arrested Hinton on Monday at the Rush Lake Motel on Southwest 16th Avenue.

According to police, Hinton and the woman were in a relationship and have a child together.

As of Monday night, Hinton was in Alachua County Jail. Bond had not been set.

Contact Chris Alcantara at calcantara@alligator.org.