Facing closure, Gainesville YMCA gets extension to raise $1.2 million

The YMCA’s Board of Directors gave a 30-day extension on Wednesday for its Gainesville chapter to continue its fundraising efforts to avoid closure.

The center located at 5201 NW 34th Blvd. has a new deadline of Jan. 31. About $765,000 of the $1.5 million goal has been raised, and a minimum of $1.2 million is needed to remain open and pay off the majority of its debt. CEO John Bonacci said he is speaking with foundations and large donors to raise the rest of the money.

“With the 30-day extension, it buys us the time we need to bring those discussions to fruition,” he said.

Bonacci said the money raised will cover the mortgage, miscellaneous debt and critical facility repairs.

“Obviously there’s no guarantees at this point, but I think that we’ve got enough members in the community stepping up that there’s a good potential for (raising the money),” he said.

Leslie Galloway is one of those members. She created the facebook page “NCF YMCA Advocates” to keep the community updated on fundraising progress and meetings.

She said the closure of the YMCA will be hard for families who use the childcare and afterschool programs. Additionally, senior citizens who use the SilverSneakers program, which is paid for by their insurance to keep them active, will be displaced.

She said she has been going to local businesses with her family and asking for their support, both financially and with spreading the word.

Galloway said she hopes the funds will be raised but for now she’s crossing her fingers and hoping for a miracle.

“It’s always been a part of my life,” Galloway said. “I’d hate to lose it. I’d hate for our community to lose it.”

Bonacci said sentiments like this give him hope that the YMCA can get the support it needs.

“This YMCA is an institution within this community, and with the people that we serve it’s absolutely a must-have for this community,” he said.

Going forward, Bonacci said he plans to continue fighting until he secures the funds to keep the center running.

“I am gonna pursue every angle possible and every donor possible,” he said. “I need all the help I can get to save this place.”

mwatkinson@alligator.org

@Mary_lou_w