Reward increased to $8,000 for information on unsolved murder

<p class="p1">About 100 feet from where the shooting took place, a man emerges from behind yellow caution tape to hug a woman and then hand her a sleeping baby in early morning of July 28.</p>

About 100 feet from where the shooting took place, a man emerges from behind yellow caution tape to hug a woman and then hand her a sleeping baby in early morning of July 28.

The reward for information about a Gainesville man’s murder has increased to $8,000, Gainesville Police announced Monday.

Antonio Mason, 35, died July 27 after being shot in the chest by two masked men in a late-night home invasion, which took place in the 800 block of NW Fourth Place, according to Alligator archives.

His killers were never caught.

Mason’s 11-month-old daughter, whom he was holding during the invasion, and a bystander both sustained non-life-threatening injuries during the shooting.

The initial reward after the shooting was $3,000, according to Alligator archives. In late August, GPD increased it to $5,000 after not receiving many tips from the original award.

GPD reached out to CrimeStoppers of Alachua County and Gilchrist County about getting extra funding to increase the reward once again, GPD spokesman Officer Ben Tobias wrote in an email.

Tobias said he hopes the reward spike motivates witnesses or those with information on the shooting to come forward.

“We are still working leads and do not have any suspects identified at this time,” he said.

To be eligible for the full reward, credible information must be submitted to CrimeStoppers by calling 352-372-STOP or by visiting stopcrime.tv.

Anyone with information can also call detectives at 352-393-7670. Those who wish to remain anonymous can call in tips to 352-3939-7700 or text “GPDFL” and the tip to 274637.