Shands Children's Hospital patient named Florida's 2014 Children’s Miracle Network champion

<p class="p1"><span class="s1">Nathan Ferrell sits on 18-year-old UF telecommunication freshman Tyler Jump’s shoulders Wednesday at Residence Inn Gainesville. Nathan is this year’s Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals Florida Champion.</span></p>

Nathan Ferrell sits on 18-year-old UF telecommunication freshman Tyler Jump’s shoulders Wednesday at Residence Inn Gainesville. Nathan is this year’s Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals Florida Champion.

Nathan Ferrell walked onto the stage carrying his red and blue backpack, as always.

The 6-year-old uses it to carry his oxygen tank.

Nate, a patient at UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital, was named the State of Florida’s 2014 Children’s Miracle Network champion in a ceremony Wednesday afternoon.

He and his family were presented with the award at the Residence Inn Gainesville by network delegates and hospital staff.

Scott Rivkees, chairman of the department of pediatrics in UF’s College of Medicine, presented the kindergarten student with a trophy.

Nate and his family convey what Children’s Miracle Network can do for children, he said.

“There’s nobody better than Nate to show the impact that all of us could have collectively in helping the care of kids,” Rivkees said.

Nate and his family attended Dance Marathon to tell the story of his battle with mitochondrial disease.

“Just because you have an illness doesn’t mean that it’s an opportunity to stop,” Jason Ferrell, his father, said. “It’s an opportunity to move forward and tell others about how good life can be.”

[A version of this story ran on page 5 on 4/17/2014 under the headline "6-year-old honored by miracle network"]