Kanapaha Botanical Gardens holds bamboo sale through February

<p class="p1">The 32nd annual bamboo sale is underway and will run through February at the Kanapaha Botanical Gardens. The nonprofit is selling pots of bamboo ranging from about $50 to about $400.</p>

The 32nd annual bamboo sale is underway and will run through February at the Kanapaha Botanical Gardens. The nonprofit is selling pots of bamboo ranging from about $50 to about $400.

The 32nd Kanapaha Botanical Gardens bamboo sale is underway.

During the sale, which runs through February, 14 varieties of bamboo are “dug to order” from the garden’s surplus supply, said Chief Supervisor Adam Maxwell.

The least expensive bamboo plant, a 5-gallon Chinese Goddess, costs $45. The most expensive is $385.

All of the funds from the sale will go toward maintaining Kanapaha Gardens, which is a nonprofit organization.

The gardens, at 4700 SW 58th Drive, maintains the largest public collection of bamboo species in the state, according to its website.

Maxwell said the ideal bamboo owner has a home instead of an apartment because the plants grow tall and require sunlight.

“If you have a yard, we definitely have bamboo that would fit it,” Maxwell said.

As for maintenance, gardens director Alexis Caffrey said there isn’t much to worry about.

“Bamboo is one of the easiest plants to take care of,” Caffrey said.

Katlynn Cunningham, a 19-year-old UF public relations sophomore, said she’s had good experiences with bamboo maintenance in the past.

“If it doesn’t require a lot of work, I’m down,” she said.

Bamboo sizes and types for sale at the Gardens are listed at kanapaha.org. Customers should call the gardens at 352-372-4981 to place orders.

The gardens will also host a workshop for beginning bamboo owners on Saturday from 1:30 to 4:30 p.m.

A version of this story ran on page 8 on 1/15/2014 under the headline "Kanapaha Gardens sells bamboo"