As Alachua County schools are getting classes into full swing, teachers and staff at the Horizon Center — including UF graduates — are working against the odds.

Horizon Center is the nearest local alternative school, also called a last-chance school, which is a category of institutions often considered the final opportunity for troubled students to turn their lives around.

Anntwanique Edwards, the assistant principal of the center, located at 2802 NE Eighth Ave., said a handful of its staff are UF graduates, including the principal. Even though last-chance schools are sometimes considered a tough environment, Edwards said it’s no more challenging than teaching at a standard school.

“Generally, the kids have disciplinary issues and have had a lot of opportunities to make changes and haven’t been able to do that,” she said. “A lot of people think because they’re not in their zoned schools, they’re troubled kids. But you get here and you think, ‘They’re the same as the kids on other campuses.’”

Molly McDole, a 21-year-old UF education senior, said although teaching at alternative schools could be difficult at first, it could be a good opportunity for new teachers to leave an impression on students.

“I can only imagine how hard a job like that would be for a first-year teacher,” she said. “But I think applying some new methods in the classroom could offer kids a new perspective on education.”

McDole said teaching students with disciplinary issues could help teachers change their perspectives on those who attend alternative schools.

“A lot of what our program teaches is to leave our preconceived ideas at the door,” she said.

Tarah Benefield, a 21-year-old UF education senior, said working at a last-chance school could help young teachers hone their skills and develop more understanding.

“I think we can learn a lot about working with kids and what kind of techniques work for trouble students,” she said. “Maybe they never got the right amount of positive attention, but teachers can help them develop and steer them in the right direction.”

A version of this story ran on page 5 on 9/16/2013 under the headline "School provides last chances"