Open house hopes to teach residents about gardening

On Saturday, the Alachua Home Grown Open House will provide an opportunity to learn about gardening habits through hands-on experience.

“There is a lot of interest within the community to learn about growing vegetables,” said Aparna Gazula, commercial horticulture extension agent of the Alachua County Cooperative Extension Office, where the open house will be held. The event will be from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Demonstrations about everything from pond management to square-foot vegetable gardening will be available. Classes about canning, attracting pollinators and integrated pest management will be offered free of charge but with limited seating.

“(The open house can) teach you how to better manage your vegetable insect pests with minimal organic pesticide applications,” Gazula said.

The open house is intended for people to find out what the Alachua County Cooperative Extension Office does and what educational programs it offers throughout the year.

In the past, the open house has attracted a mix of residents from all over Gainesville, Gazula said.

The frost in Gainesville delayed the planting season that typically occurs in March. This means that even though the open house was slightly delayed, now is a good time for the square-foot vegetable garden to be in bloom.

“Home-grown grilled vegetables go great with any meal,” said Tony Lozada, a 19-year-old UF economics junior.