Lawyer offers free help to Haitians

A local immigration lawyer is offering more than his support after the earthquake devastation in Haiti.

Evan George, a UF graduate, is offering pro bono services and legal assistance for Haitians eligible for Temporary Protected Status, a short-term visa for immigrants from other countries residing in the United States only offered to certain countries in severe times of trouble, such as ongoing warfare or a severe natural disaster.

On Jan. 15, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services designated Haiti as an eligible country for Temporary Protected Status.

This is the first time the service has offered protected status to Haitian immigrants in the United States.

“This is a good way for me to give back to my community after all the years I spent here in school,” George said. “I am in a good position and have knowledge of the law, and it is a time we desperately need it.”

George will continue to offer his free services to Haitian immigrants in Gainesville until situations begin to improve in Haiti.

“I just want to help in whatever way I can,” George said. “Even though I do not have any personal ties to Haiti, this earthquake disaster has hit home for all of us.”

To contact George about his services, call the Law Office of Evan D. George at 352-378-5603 or e-mail George at edglaw@gmail.com.