There is a shortage of doctors in the US, new survey shows

A survey released last week by Kaplan Test Prep shows that only 32 percent of future medical school students plan to go into general health care, while the other 68 percent plans to have a specialization.

UF is the fifth largest school for premed students, said Amjed Saffarini, vice president of graduate programs at Kaplan.

Russell Schaffer, senior communications manager for Kaplan, said 713 students from UF applied to med school last year.

However, there is still a shortage of 65,000 doctors.

Saffarini said there are more people growing older who need more health care. He also said the Affordable Health Care Act brings in about 30 million people, who put additional strain on the system.

Also, current doctors are heading to retirement, leaving open positions. He said more doctors are choosing specialties.

In addition to new changes such as the Affordable Health Care Act, there have also been recent changes to the MCAT.

Safarini said changes to the MCAT should help fill doctors positions left by the shortage.

“If students are learning harder sciences, then they might be better prepared and can get through school faster,” he said. “Med school can be three years instead of four.”