The Collegiate Skate Tour is coming to Gainesville for the first time Saturday afternoon.

Director Keegan Guizard, a 25-year-old North Carolina State University graduate, said college students compete in the tour and motivate younger attendees to follow their academic goals. 

FreeRide Surf and Skate Shop, situated at 420 NW 13th St., will host registration for the tour’s Miniramp Mania at noon, according to a press release.

Registration is $10 and the event, which is free for spectators, will run from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m., according to the release. 

Guizard launched the program in October 2012, and this year he collaborated with the Gator Skateboarding Club to bring the tour to Gainesville. 

The laid-back event attracts college students who are not able to make big time commitments, said Clay Helms, president of the skateboarding club.

In past years, the tour has visited places such as Tampa, New Hampshire and New York City, he said.

Christopher Arellanes, a past competitor, said he usually makes it to the semi finals before younger competitors dash into the lead. 

He said kids see the skating community competing for their school, and that inspires them to further their education.

“We see a lot of kids that choose schools because they have a skateboarding club,” Arellanes said.