Monday, March 18, 2024

Man arrested for having marijuana, alligator hide

A Gainesville man was arrested Monday afternoon after police found an alligator hide and a marijuana plant on his property.

Perry Michael Trenka, 51, of 1604 SE 32nd Ave., was charged with killing an alligator and growing marijuana, both felonies, according to a sworn complaint from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission.

On Monday, officers from the commission investigated a report about an alligator that was taken. The investigation led them to Trenka’s property in Southeast Gainesville, where Trenka invited the officers into his house.

Inside, officers found an alligator hide nailed to a board in Trenka’s machine shop and alligator meat inside a freezer.

Trenka told officers he caught the alligator in a sinkhole and later killed it with a knife, according to the report.

Police also found a marijuana plant growing in a pot in Trenka’s backyard.

Trenka said the plant did not belong to him, and he had been watering it for a friend who died almost four months ago, according to the report.

Police arrested Trenka at 3 p.m. and booked him into Alachua County Jail later that day.

Trenka was released Tuesday afternoon.

Contact Chris Alcantara at calcantara@alligator.org.