Works in progress: road construction around Gainesville

Depot Avenue

A section of Depot Avenue between Southwest Sixth Street and Southwest Ninth Street is under reconstruction. 

This is the second segment of a project that will include a two-lane divided roadway with landscaped medians and three roundabouts at the Southwest 11th Street, Southwest Sixth Street and Main Street intersections, according to the City of Gainesville Public Works Projects.

There is a detour about 1 mile long for pedestrians, Chip Skinner, the public information officer for the City of Gainesville Public Works Department, wrote in an email.

An accessible walkway will be installed in the coming weeks to allow access to the areas around the construction zone, including the bus stop at the corner of Depot Avenue and Southwest Ninth Street, Skinner said.

Project completion is set for August 2016.

Northwest Sixteenth Avenue

The 4-mile Northwest 16th Avenue project continues this month with nighttime lane closures along the road and daytime lane closures at Northwest 51st Street, according to a press release.

A segment running from Northwest 31st Drive to Northwest 22nd Street has been reduced to two lanes, according to the release.

Traffic patterns will also be regularly altered from about Northwest 58th Boulevard to Northwest 54th Terrace.

Brian Singleton, Alachua County transportation engineering manager, said the roadwork makes it more difficult for the side streets to get in and out.

Drivers should be able to use all four lanes by the end of May.

Interstate 75

A yearlong resurfacing project will begin within the next two weeks on Interstate 75 just north of U.S. 441 (Exit 399) to the Columbia County line at the Santa Fe River Bridge, according to a press release.

The 9-mile project will close one lane Sunday through Thursday between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Repaving the center lane will require two lane closures at night between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m. Lane closures will not exceed 2 miles, and the speed limit will be reduced to 60 mph in those areas.

Rebecca White, Florida Department of Transportation spokeswoman, said there will be no lane closures during the weekend, which is when traffic is heaviest.

[A version of this story ran on page 3 on 3/13/2015 under the headline “Works in progress: road construction around Gainesville”]

Construction on Depot Avenue.