Students party hard on first weekend back

They may not all remember it, but UF students turned out in droves Friday night to celebrate the end of the first week of school and the promise of many more weekends to come.

Lines snaked out of almost every bar in midtown.

Summer's dry spell ended with the night 101 Cantina's general manager Erik Zika called the bar's "second best night ever in history."

Gator City saw about a 25-percent increase in its crowd from the summer, according to assistant manager TJ Brown.

"We've been ready for the start of fall," Brown said.

Gainesville Police did some reassigning to manage the increased numbers of people on the streets.

GPD Lt. Rob Koelher said although the number of police officers on duty remains constant, many officers were shuffled around to create a larger presence downtown and in midtown.

"We try to be very visible," he said.

During a series of alcohol-compliance checks Friday night, GPD officers arrested nine servers at nine different establishments for giving alcohol to minors.

The restaurants and bars in violation included 101 Cantina, Miller's Ale House, Beer Pit, Bonefish Grill, Fresco Neighborhood Italian, Club Liquid, Rolls ‘n Bowls and TooJay's Gourmet Deli.

Police sent an undercover, underage patron into the venues to attempt to purchase alcohol.

The employees who served the alcohol to the minors were charged on the scene and face a maximum penalty of 60 days in jail and a $500 fine.

According to a Gainesville city ordinance passed in April 2009, bars and restaurants are subject to 90 days of probation if they incur repeated underage-drinking violations during a business quarter.

During these 90 days, the bars must deny entry to anyone under the age of 21 from 9 p.m. to close.

Venues with a capacity of less than 201 are penalized after five infractions.

Larger venues are penalized after 10.

In 2010, both The Swamp Restaurant and 101 Cantina were subject to a 90-day probation period as a result of such infractions.

When asked about Friday's arrest at 101 Cantina, Zika said he was unaware of the incident.

GPD also made one DUI arrest Friday night.