Former Gators football player opens Gainesville wing house

<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Ker’s WingHouse Bar &amp; Grill, which has locations in Florida and Texas, will have its grand opening tonight. The wing house was started by a former Gators football player.</p>

Ker’s WingHouse Bar & Grill, which has locations in Florida and Texas, will have its grand opening tonight. The wing house was started by a former Gators football player.

When former Gators football player Crawford Ker decided to open a restaurant, he focused on a tailgating favorite: wings.

Ker’s WingHouse Bar & Grill, 3857 SW Archer Road, will celebrate its grand opening today from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. The restaurant, which has locations in Florida and Texas, features wings and entrees big enough to fill a hungry Gator.

Chris Osman, regional manager, said Ker was excited to open the Gainesville branch because of his attachment to UF. Ker was a Gators football offensive lineman from 1983 to 1984.

Former Gators and NFL players will sign autographs at the grand opening, including Doug Johnson, Scot Brantley and Chris Doering.

“For Gator fans looking to interact with former Gator greats and eat some wings, this event will be great for them,” Osman said.

The prices for a five-piece plate of wings is $4.99, and a 50-piece plate costs $37.99. Burgers and sandwiches range from $6.99 to $9.99.

The restaurant features a honey-based sauce ranging from mild to “exxtreme.” Osman said the portions aren’t for the meek, either; a 50-wing plate is about 10 pounds of chicken.

“If you go to other wing houses, you may get a pigeon-sized wing. But at our restaurant, you receive huge wings that will ensure you are full,” he said.