As Sweetbay supermarkets across Florida prepare to close in February, Gainesville’s store remains in business.

The Tampa-based supermarket chain announced Wednesday it will be closing 33 underperforming stores across the state, as well as the pharmacy at its Bonita Springs location, in mid-February.

“Those stores just weren’t meeting sales expectations,” said Sweetbay spokeswoman Nicole LeBeau.

All of the company’s 105 stores operate in Florida. The remaining 72 stores will stay open after the statewide closing, which will lay off about 2,000 workers, according to a company press release.

LeBeau said the closures will help the company’s portfolio and accelerate shareholder value.

As a publicly held company, Sweetbay doesn’t release sales figures, she said.

Although the company encourages employees to apply for open positions at remaining stores, LeBeau said it would pay severance for unemployed workers.

She could not provide further details about the pay due to the “sensitivity of the issue.”

Employees at the Gainesville store, 2002 SW 34th St., made the cut. The store’s 24/7 schedule often comes in handy for students living nearby.

Arnold Sullivan, a 19-year-old UF electrical engineering sophomore, lives close to Publix, but when he needs to go grocery shopping in the middle of the night, he goes to Sweetbay.

“It seems pretty popular whenever I go there, even at 2 a.m.,” Sullivan said. “If they were both equidistant, I might go to Sweetbay more.”

(2) comments

Romulan

Sweetbay is owned by a Belgian parent company, Delhaize Group. The other articles I've seen reference the parent company when discussing this story. The decision to close the stores came from the parent company (Belgium, in other words.)

http://www.delhaizegroup.com/en/Home.aspx

Delhaize Group (French pronunciation: ​[dəlɛːz]) is a food retailer headquartered in Anderlecht, Brussels, Belgium.[3] which operates in eight countries and on three continents.[4] The principal activity of Delhaize Group is the operation of food supermarkets.

United States

Operates as Delhaize America, a wholly owned subsidiary of Delhaize Group:

Food Lion LLC
Food Lion
Bloom
Bottom Dollar Food
Harveys Supermarkets
Reid's
Hannaford Bros. Co.
Sweetbay Supermarkets

^^from Wikipedia.

andelman
andelman

All the talk of Sweetbay Supermarket closings in the Tampa Bay area reminded me of this story from a happier time for the company, when it had just rebranded from Kash n Karry. New CEO Shelly Broader personally took me around a store pointing out all the cool new stuff. It was a fun cover story, although after it ran, we heard she hated the "Food Fight" cover line and the allusion to 'Animal House.' Oh, well! http://andelman.com/2013/02/food-fight-sweetbay-to-publix-see-if-you-can-guess-what-i-am-now/

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.