On Friday night, William B. Lee ran out of his home, screaming.

“Somebody help me,” he said, according to an arrest report. “I’ve killed my mom!”

William and his mother, Emogene, argued in the living room around 10 p.m. He asked for money to buy crack cocaine and beer, police say. Emogene said no. So, William beat her. Then, he stabbed her in the face with an ice pick, four times.

William ran away, but Gainesville Police caught him about a tenth of a mile north, near the A. Quinn Jones Center. William, 44, of 912 NW Sixth Ave., was arrested on charges of attempted murder, resisting an officer and trespassing school grounds.

Emogene suffered four puncture wounds, several broken facial bones and a neck fracture.

After running outside, William fled north. GPD officer William Gough saw him in the 1000 block of Northwest Seventh Avenue, and he told him to stop. He didn’t. William ran through the A. Quinn Jones Center, and through the school’s athletic fields.

Finally, Gough caught him, police said. When Gough handcuffed William, he resisted. He wiggled his hands free, trying to scratch the officer. Then he leaned his head forward, trying to bite him.

Eventually, with several other officers nearby, Gough escorted William to the back of a patrol car, and he was held Sunday at the Alachua County Jail. A bond has not been set.

William’s father, Wesley, was also home Friday night. He is blind, but he told officers that from his bedroom he could hear arguing. He heard stomping and kicking. Then he heard two people yelling – William seeking help, Emogene in pain.

Wesley told officers Emogene kept repeating the same thing: “Oh God. Oh God. Oh God.”