'Dream State' exhibit opens at Reitz Union

<p>Visitors look at the exhibit "Dream State" at the grand opening show on Thursday evening in the Reitz Union Art Gallery.</p>

Visitors look at the exhibit "Dream State" at the grand opening show on Thursday evening in the Reitz Union Art Gallery.

Dreams can be fleeting, but for three UF sophomores, a dream will linger in the Reitz Union for about a week.

Alison Aycrigg, Jordan Kady and Zac Thompson, UF fine arts majors who aspired to open an art exhibit, attended the opening reception for their first exhibit, "Dream State," Thursday night.

"We just liked the idea of dreams and not only dreaming to, as sophomores, be able to get a show, but how dreams could act as a metaphor for our collaboration," Thompson said.

He said many of the works on display were originally class assignments.

The exhibit includs a cloud suspended in the middle of the room over a white-sheeted bed made of two-by-fours and cardboard boxes over a bed frame, which represents dreams and the inspiration process. The display is the centerpiece of the gallery. Strands of red, yellow and blue yarn spread from the cloud, connecting the artists to their various works. Each color represents one of the artists, Aycrigg said.

"We tried to keep it as self-explanatory as possible," Thompson said.

The Reitz Union gallery hosted the reception and collaborated with Aramark to cater snacks for guests using a $250 budget, said Jill Keezer, assistant director for arts and leisure at the Reitz Union. Red, yellow and blue cupcakes corresponded with the colors of yarn.

Dounia Bendris, a friend and classmate of the artists, held a cupcake on her plate as she perused the gallery, which is on the second floor of the Reitz Union.

"It's really great. Not only the work, but what they did to add to it with the bed and the yarn," said Bendris, 19-year-old UF fine arts sophomore. "I've been into the gallery before and sometimes it's just the work on the walls. They went above and beyond, especially with this being their first show."

Bendris said she was was inspired to see her classmates' work hanging in the gallery.

Any UF affiliate can apply to have work featured in the gallery, and a student committee selects the shows that will be displayed each semester, Keezer said.

"Dream State" will be on display until Jan. 27.