<p>Brendon “BJ” Jonassaint is a 21-year-old UF health science junior running for Student Body vice president with Impact Party.</p><p>Jonassaint is currently a Cabinet liaison for UF Student Senate. </p><p>He was also a member of the Florida Cicerones, a Preview staffer, a Preview coordinator and a J. Wayne Reitz Scholar. </p><p>He is also a member of the Black Student Union.</p><p>Jonassaint said he especially hopes to improve student life.</p><p>“I think I should be elected because of my passion for the university and my passion for helping students move forward, helping students out in general,” he said.</p>

Brendon “BJ” Jonassaint is a 21-year-old UF health science junior running for Student Body vice president with Impact Party.

Jonassaint is currently a Cabinet liaison for UF Student Senate. 

He was also a member of the Florida Cicerones, a Preview staffer, a Preview coordinator and a J. Wayne Reitz Scholar. 

He is also a member of the Black Student Union.

Jonassaint said he especially hopes to improve student life.

“I think I should be elected because of my passion for the university and my passion for helping students move forward, helping students out in general,” he said.

Brendon “BJ” Jonassaint was born in UF Health Shands Hospital. He said he’s had UF spirit running through his blood since he was born.

“Just because I knew anything I wanted to do, I could do it here,” he said. “If I really wanted to, I could do it at UF.” 

After serving as a District D senator in Fall 2014 with Swamp Party, Jonassaint is running for Student Body vice president with Impact Party because he said he feels he can provide students with the programs they want and need.

Jonassaint said he knew he wanted to be involved on campus since he came to the university. While at UF, he has served as a student assistant for the Dean of Students Office, a Preview staffer and an executive assistant for the Black Student Union.

“It’s sort of a challenge,” he said. “I enjoy everything I do.”

Jonassaint, whose mother attended UF, spent most of his life learning Haitian Creole and living in Okeechobee, Florida.

As a member of the Newell Hall Student Advisory Board, he provides input for the building’s renovation. The building is being converted into a study space for students. It’s set to open after Jonassaint graduates, but he’s determined to help create a lasting space for students.

“I may not be here when it opens but the students will get to use that facility when it does open,” he said. “That drives me.” 

He said he wants to make students feel at home while they’re on campus.

“I want all the events to be something where you can go to it and get something out of it to help improve your life on campus,” Jonassaint said.

Damien Womble has been friends with Jonassaint since fourth grade, when the two met at school.

It wasn’t until they came to UF and joined the same fraternity, Alpha Phi Alpha, that the two grew close.

“UF has always been his dream school, so he knew he was going to end up here,” the 21-year-old UF finance junior said.

Jonassaint said it was difficult at first to choose between Access and Impact. His old roommate, Nicholas Carre, ran for Student Body treasurer with Access last year, which Jonassaint supported.

This year, he said he took a step back during the Fall semester and watched tension in the Senate chamber continue.

“I thought they were a group of motivated students who were actually more concerned with progress,” he said.

Womble said he’s watched Jonassaint go from being a shy freshman to a guy who always manages to make a friend in a room full of strangers.

“For him, I feel like when he gets involved, everything gets his 100-percent attention,” Womble said, but he added, “I feel like he manages time very well.”

He said it’s been interesting to watch Jonassaint participate in school and continued his pursuit in SG.

“It’s crazy to me how it unfolded,” he said. “I’m still proud of him for setting his eyes on something.”