Thirsty students need no longer carry cash on campus.

A project to add credit, debit and Gator 1 Card readers to 200 vending machines on campus began Monday.

In addition to the added convenience, students using their Gator 1 vending accounts at the machines will receive a 12-percent discount.

"We know that every little bit helps, especially when you're a student," said Kristine Hinck, spokeswoman for PepsiCo.

UF Business Services and Student Government worked with PepsiCo to implement these changes.

Under the university's agreement with PepsiCo, UF sells only Pepsi products on campus.

Hinck said UF is the first campus in the U.S. to undergo this vending machine conversion, but Pepsi hopes to expand the service to other universities.

If the card readers are successful in this trial run, Student Body President Ben Meyers said they will be installed on every vending machine on campus.

"I think, in general, everyone's moving toward a cashless society," he said, "so I think it will be very well-received and very widely used."

(1) entry

Wow, credit card readers!!!! It's like we're living in the future! Now I can drink my way to diabetes as if I was living in 1997!!!

Sign the guestbook.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.