Senators put their party differences aside during Tuesday’s meeting to honor Thomas Maresco, a UF alumnus who was killed Sept. 3 in Lesotho, Africa.

Maresco was an alumnus of Sigma Chi Fraternity and was serving in the Peace Corps when he was killed.

The Senate observed a moment of silence in memory of Maresco, and commended his passion and bravery.

“It’s a horrible thing, what happened, and we offer our deepest condolences to [Maresco’s] family and the brothers of Sigma Chi, said Senate president Kara Olesky, who represents the Unite Party.

“He is a role model to many people.”

The resolution will be sent to Maresco’s family in attempt to express the condolences of the UF student body. 

Additionally, senators unanimously passed a bill providing  $890 to the One Campaign, devoted to spreading among students awareness of world poverty issues and awareness about diseases.

Editor's note: The original version of this article incorrectly displayed the wrong photo of Maresco during the meeting.

(2) comments

Hahahaha, way to put up the wrong picture Alligator! That definitely is not Marcus Dixon, nor is the photo even taken at Senate!

Yeah, wrong attribution, wrong picture.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language. Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything. Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person. Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts. Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.