Last weekend before the game, I ran into a group of boys who couldn’t have been older than 12. They kindly asked me to take a photo of them. All three of them whipped out their shiny iPhones and handed them to me.

As a 19-year-old who doesn’t even have an Android, I smiled and thought about how the brains over at Apple have the public under mind control.

I’ve seen people use their iPads while dining at restaurants and even use them to take pictures and record videos at concerts. My pastor of almost 20 years now refers to his iPad for notes during sermons.

There are rumors now that Apple will release a smaller version of the already popular iPad within the next few weeks.

IPad Mini? IPad Air? Nobody cares what the new version is called. People will buy it.

The update is not at all surprising because this is simply how Apple’s people work. They make a product. They create buzz about a product. They release it. Apple lovers spend the money to own it.

Apple then releases an upgraded or slightly different version of the product, and consumers pull out more money and buy it again. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

I remember my first experiences with the Apple brand. I was a kid who hated the occasional trip with my mother to her office on Saturday mornings. When I wasn’t forced into filing documents, I played on the computers with bright candy-colored exteriors. They seemed a lot cooler than the plain one we had at home.

It was the iMac, which debuted in 1998. The computer was distinct in appearance compared to other brands’ models and would serve as the basis for Apple computers for years to come.

Apple dominates our culture in a way that seems effortless. The brand became the standard for today’s personal and professional technology and doesn’t plan on deviating from that position. It has truly become a symbol of this generation.

Even after the passing of leader Steve Jobs, the company continues to make great advances. Apple manages to surprise consumers and bring something new when the public least expects it or feels like nothing can surpass the previous product.

Apple made six versions of the iPhone since 2007. The recent release of the iPhone 5 and iOS 6 software update created a frenzy of chaos among media and consumers.

Apple caters to the needs of its devoted followers to have the newest and the best technology. Releasing updates and new products frequently keeps the dollars rolling into the Apple corporation and ensures that brand perception stays high.

I personally know quite a few people who feel deprived if they don’t own the latest version of an Apple product.

I also know people who own iPhones, MacBooks and iPads all at once. It’s a little confusing to me seeing that, for the most part, the products have many of the same functions – especially the last two. Form seems to be the only notable difference.

A standard complaint from those whose money is a little more scarce is that even after choosing to buy a certain product, a new version of it will debut only a short time after.

My advice is to go into a purchase knowing that anyone can only have Apple’s best for a short amount of time.

Somehow, dysfunctional relationships such as these are the ones with the strong ability to keep a hold on someone for a significant amount of time.

I applaud Apple for its strategy and know it’ll continue to be held in the highest regard concerning technology and innovation. Apple keeps owners coming back for more and keeps prospective buyers absolutely intrigued.

Maybe I can live up to the standard of this decade and upgrade to an iPhone soon.

Anayo Ordu is an advertising sophomore. Her column appears on Tuesdays. You can contact her at opinions@alligator.org.