Meddlin’ Missouri: Why every state is important in this election

Rep. Todd Akin is still running for a Missouri Senate seat.

Still. He’s still running.

The guy who said that a woman’s body can shut down a pregnancy from a “legitimate rape.”

That guy. And he feels like his campaign should be optimistic about its future.

“I believe the state of the campaign is looking better and better,” Akin said Friday after the first debate between him and Democratic Sen. Claire McCaskill.

Not only has Akin continued to run despite his gaffe-to-end-all-gaffes, but he has “repeatedly rejected calls of top national Republicans — including presidential candidate Mitt Romney — to quit the race so the state GOP committee can appoint a replacement candidate,” according to Fox News.

So many high-paying donors, like the Republican National Committee and the National Republican Senatorial Committee, have pulled funding from Akin’s campaign. He deserved all that funding to be pulled because no one should support someone as stupid as Akin.

“If the Republicans are going to win control of the Senate, they need Missouri,” said Newt Gingrich, offering an explanation as to why he will be hosting a dinner to raise money for Akin.

That probably makes sense. If you need more Republican senators in order to pass your awful legislation, it shouldn’t matter what name, face or ideals are attached to the party.

“It’s your choice,” Akin said during the debate with McCaskill, according to the Kansas City Star. “More freedom or more Washington.”

Well, Akin, we would like more freedom but basically not the kind you’re offering.

Jonathan Dine, the Libertarian candidate also present at the debate, offered his perspective.

“We do not need politicians telling us who we can love, what to do with our own money or what we can do with our own body,” Dine said.

It’s pretty easy to sound well-connected to voters when you’re standing next to Akin, a man who cannot seemingly grasp even a hint of understanding of how the female body works. We’re not asking for a genius here, people. We would just prefer our legislative body to know how actual bodies work.

“I was astonished to find that Akin sits on the science committee, yet he fails to understand basic eighth grade biology,” Dine said in the debate, according to Talking Points Memo.

Maybe we’re assuming too much about what the American population looks for in its representatives.

“This election is going to be quite a contrast for Missourians,” McCaskill said in the debate.

Missouri appears to be like a cross section of the U.S. when it comes to viewpoints and opinions of people running for office. There are many to select from, should you choose to vote.

It’s scary to leave the election in anyone else’s hands but our own, especially if the person who wins has been abandoned by his own political party.