In a biannual tradition, the Editorial Board called in candidates from both Unite and Progress parties Sunday night to discuss the Student Government elections. With the heat on, both figuratively and literally, in our sauna-like conference room, we came to a realization: Everyone’s good.

Candidates on both of the tickets are competent and qualified to hold their desired positions. We were left to choose between the better of two goods, not the better of two evils. Whoa, we aren’t used to saying that.

We agonized over the selections — one of the board members was almost reduced to tears over the choice — but we’re confident no matter the result of the election, the winners will accomplish their platforms. Here it gets tricky: Many of the goals discussed in the parties’ platforms are the same, albeit with different ways of implementation.  On the subjects of block tuition, fees and budget cuts — the three most pressing issues our Student Body faces at the moment — everyone agrees on standing against block tuition, increased student fees and budget cuts.

In this election, students aren’t voting on issues; they’re voting on candidates and their experiences. So, let’s take a look at what made our decision gut-wrenching.

The Student Body president and vice president come bundled as a ticket on the ballot, but we’re sure even if we could mix and match candidates, they would work together to achieve their goals. Presidential candidates Ben Meyers and Dave Schneider both have proven leadership capability. Meyers, of the Unite Party, seems to be taking the next logical step in his UF political career by aiming for a role he’s been preparing for. Schneider, of the Progress Party, while known for his megaphone penchant, has experience sitting down in meetings and hashing matters out. They are two sides of the same coin.

It’s much the same for the vice presidential contenders, Unite Party’s Anthony Reynolds and Progress Party’s Cassia Laham, who differ mainly on the method by which Student Government should get more involved with students.

As for treasurer, we had to choose between Progress Party’s Amy Chaildin, a graduate student who has worked with SG finances for four years, and Unite Party’s TJ Villamil, the man who wrote the very budget he would be enacting.

Although we love the underdog mentality and the activist bent the Progress Party espouses itself to, the Editorial Board has decided to endorse the Unite Party in the election. It was a choice between our belief that a party could accomplish all items presented in its platform and the knowledge that they — both the party and the candidates themselves — have a proven record of doing so.

Come on, guys. You made this difficult on purpose.

All joking aside, we hope that, no matter the outcome of the election, leaders from both parties will help and advise one another to make our Student Government as strong a force as we know it can be.

That said, they can’t do much without you. In this election, we can safely say the only bad vote is the one you don’t make. Make a little time Tuesday or Wednesday to let your voice be heard.