This morning, while I strolled through Turlington Plaza, I was delighted to see that people were handing out copies of “The Origin of Species” by Charles Darwin. This seemed a vast improvement over coupons and fliers. Then I opened the book and found the “special introduction” urging me to accept an intelligent designer and “receive the gift of eternal life.”

Like any article wishing to spread doubt, it did not state its true intentions up front. Gradually, selective quotations were used and unscientific (but reasonable-sounding) arguments were made against evolution until the reader reached the Living Waters’ true message: Jesus.

Evolution is a fascinating process that ties together and enforces every biology course I’ve taken at UF. As it says on a door in Bartram Hall, it’s very gradual change that you can believe in. I urge any students genuinely interested in evolution to either ignore the slander against Darwin and evolution or, even better, to find out for themselves.

This isn’t a matter of Christianity versus evolution, as if people can’t believe both.It’s possible. However, if you’re going to try to convert people, Ray Comfort, you shouldn’t hide your religious tract behind a book praised by scientists all over the world. Preach out in the open or don’t preach at all.