Days before draft, former Gators DL Caleb Brantley facing misdemeanor battery charge

<p>Former UF defensive lineman Caleb Brantley greets fans prior to Florida's 32-0 win over North Texas on Sept. 17, 2016, at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.</p>

Former UF defensive lineman Caleb Brantley greets fans prior to Florida's 32-0 win over North Texas on Sept. 17, 2016, at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

Former Florida defensive lineman Caleb Brantley is facing a misdemeanor charge after police said he knocked a woman unconscious and displaced her tooth, according to a sworn complaint filed Friday by the Gainesville Police Department.

At 2:15 a.m. on April 13, witnesses told police Brantley struck the victim in the face and knocked her unconscious after she pushed Brantley for making “crude comments” near Midtown at 1702 W. University Ave. The victim will require a root canal because of the injuries, according to the police report.

Brantley’s actions were “clearly out of retaliation and not self-defense,” according to the police report, and his use of force “far exceeded what was reasonable or necessary.”

When the incident originally took place, neither Brantley nor the woman filed charges, and both decided not to come forward as the victim.

Brantley is charged with a first degree misdemeanor of battery.

A standout defensive tackle for the Gators, Brantley was projected by many draft experts as a second-to-third round pick in this weekend’s NFL Draft. As a redshirt junior in 2016, the Crescent City, Florida, native tallied 31 tackles and led the team with 9.5 tackles-for-loss along with 2.5 sacks.

@pinakk12

ppinak@alligator.org