Junior guard shines in transition, improving all-around game

<p>Junior guard Jaterra Bonds poses at media day on Oct. 10. Bonds scored 17 points in Florida's 84-65 win against Georgia State on Sunday in the Stephen C. O'Connell Center.</p>

Junior guard Jaterra Bonds poses at media day on Oct. 10. Bonds scored 17 points in Florida's 84-65 win against Georgia State on Sunday in the Stephen C. O'Connell Center.

Jaterra Bonds received a pass from freshman Chandler Cooper, drove through the lane and made a layup while getting fouled. 

After Georgia State cut Florida’s lead to single digits with fewer than four minutes remaining in the first half, successive three-point plays by Bonds gave the Gators a comfortable advantage. 

“I just tried to be aggressive and get out in transition and attack,” Bonds said. “They weren’t stopping the ball, so we went down their throat.”

Bonds, a junior guard, finished with 15 points in the first half and 17 overall as Florida defeated Georgia State 84-65 on Sunday in the O’Connell Center. 

After outscoring Fairfield 14-0 in the fastbreak on Friday, Florida again took control of the game in transition. Bonds led the way.

“We were having a lot of advantages,” Bonds said. “A lot of two-on-ones and three-on-twos, so I was just trying to get out and be aggressive.”

Bonds has developed as a complete player, coach Amanda Butler said. 

Last season, Bonds struggled with shot selection. Through two games, Butler has seen a more mature, composed player. 

“When a player plays a very aggressive, attacking style, a lot of times they don’t get as much credit for how well they think,” Butler said. “She is a very, very smart basketball player. She is a student of the game.”

Behind Bonds and the return of Jennifer George, who scored a team-leading 19 points and pulled down eight rebounds, Florida was too much for Georgia State. The Gators led by as many as 29 points in the second half. 

The win gave Butler her 100th victory as Florida’s coach. That total is second only to her mentor, Carol Ross, who recorded 247 career wins at UF. 

“I’ve been very blessed to coach some extraordinary women,” Butler said. “But the reality is No. 101 is what is most important right now.”