Florida blows out Georgia Tech, advances to NCAA Super Regionals

The Gators’ talented crop of upperclassmen can relax and enjoy the 2012 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft — at least for a couple of days.

Then, it’s back to the business at hand.

"Honestly, [the MLB Draft] was an afterthought the whole weekend," Mike Zunino said. "We came out with one goal and that was to make it to the College World Series. I got 34 other teammates that are trying to do the same goal and are just trying to play for once cause."

No. 1 overall seed Florida (45-18) advanced to the NCAA Super Regionals after a 15-3 blowout victory against second-seeded Georgia Tech (38-26) on Sunday night at McKethan Stadium. The Gators outscored the Yellow Jackets 21-5 in back-to-back wins to clinch the NCAA Gainesville Regional.

Offense came early and often for UF on Sunday. Florida tagged Georgia Tech starter Jake Davies for seven runs (six earned) in just two innings of work.

A three-run homer from Zunino capped the Gators’ initial scoring onslaught.

The large, early lead was more than enough for Florida starter Brian Johnson, who surrendered just one earned run on three hits in five innings.

While UF had an 8-1 lead after four innings, its best offense was yet to come. In the bottom of the fifth, the Gators roughed up Yellow Jackets reliever Josh Heddinger with their most productive inning this season.

Florida tallied a season-high seven runs in the fifth on six hits and two walks. The two big hits were a two-run double from Josh Tobias and a Daniel Pigott two-run single. Nolan Fontana, Johnson and Casey Turgeon also notched RBI.

The Gators upperclassmen combined for 12 runs and 10 RBI in Sunday’s victory, but the freshmen made their presence known at the NCAA Gainesville Regional. During the weekend, Justin Schafer registered a .417 on-base percentage and three RBI, and Josh Tobias played error-free defense at third base.

Turgeon set the tone offensively and defensively and was named Most Outstanding Player.  He made a no-hitter-saving play on the last out Friday night, and he went 6 for 10 with four runs and five RBI at the plate.

"Nothing [Turgeon] does on the field surprises me," coach Kevin O'Sullivan said. "I knew what he was capable of doing. He's a natural player."

UF will play the winner of the NCAA Raleigh Regional next weekend. Second-seeded Vanderbilt plays No. 1 NC State on Monday night at 7 to determine which squad will face Florida.

While their next foe is decided, the Gators will have a light workout Monday afternoon, and the upperclassmen will have their televisions tuned to the MLB Network.

"I was tempted to use [the MLB Draft] as motivation," O'Sullivan said with a laugh. "You win [Sunday], you ain't got to play [Monday].

"We joked about that earlier. [Monday]'s a big day, Tuesday's a big day I want these guys to enjoy the draft. It is a part of our game."

Contact Joe Morgan at joemorgan@alligator.org.