Former NFL running back Clinton Portis files Suggestion of Bankruptcy

Following months of financial woes, former NFL running back Clinton Portis filed a Suggestion of Chapter 11 Bankruptcy on Nov. 5, which revealed numerous debts totaling more than $2 million.

Portis, a Gainesville native who starred on the football team at Gainesville High, listed Residential Credit Solutions Inc. as the largest unsecured claim he owes, valued at $1,023,020 in mortgage deficiency.

He also owes the Internal Revenue Service $390,000 in back taxes, which he is currently disputing, according to the documents.

The documents include a long list of six-figure summations that Portis owes while he continues to experience financial difficulty stemming from a failed casino venture he reportedly invested in.

Included are an outstanding $287,178.56 payment owed to MGM Grand Hotel from May, a $200,000 deficiency from a foreclosed mortgage valued at $200,000 which Portis is also disputing, a $170,000 judgment to Marina District Development and $110,945 owed to Bank of America for a home equity line.

Portis is disputing both the home equity line claim and a credit card payment of $51,910, both owed to Bank of America.

After previously owing a car dealer $157,290 in payments on an Audi S5, Portis claimed to owe Audi Financial Services a balance of $59,789, according to the documents.

He also listed a claim of $65,553 owed to BMW Financial Services for the deficiency of a repossessed vehicle, according to the documents. 

Included in the list is more than $200,000 in payments owed to various utility companies, including Verizon Wireless, DirecTV, Comcast and AT&T.

Just last week the Alligator reported Portis owed more than $40,000 in child support payments to a woman in Bradford County.

Attorney Steven H. Silton of the Cozen O’Connor law firm in Minneapolis, Minnesota, is representing Portis in the bankruptcy filings, according to the documents.

In June, Portis went through a foreclosure trial in Gainesville for his home, located at 3510 NE 156th Ave.

"This been ongoing since 2011, 2012," Portis told TMZ. "There's nothing else I can do. My lawyers are currently dealing with this."

Portis told TMZ that he, along with several other NFL players, made a sizable investment into a casino venture that ultimately went bankrupt. Portis has reportedly sued a former financial adviser for persuading athletes, including Portis, to invest in the venture. 

"At the time I was the biggest name and had the deepest pockets," Portis told TMZ. "Now, they're trying to hold me solely responsible for what was a bad business deal involving a lot of different people.

"I'm still eating. Look at my Instagram. I'm not starving. I'm gaining weight. I'm doing fine. I'll be okay."

A star at the University of Miami, Portis was selected in the second round of the 2002 NFL draft by the Denver Broncos before he was traded to Washington Redskins for cornerback Champ Bailey and a second-round draft pick in the 2004 draft.

He played nine seasons in the NFL before announcing his retirement in 2012 at the age of 29.

Portis is currently employed by the Washington Redskins. 

Follow Graham Hall on Twitter @Graham311