<p>Alex Faedo pitches during Florida's 2-1 win against Florida Atlantic in the Gainesville Regional of the NCAA Tournament on May 31, 2015, at McKethan Stadium.</p>

Alex Faedo pitches during Florida's 2-1 win against Florida Atlantic in the Gainesville Regional of the NCAA Tournament on May 31, 2015, at McKethan Stadium.

For the first time in three years, Florida advanced to the NCAA Super Regionals.

No. 4-seed UF (47-16) defeated Florida Atlantic (42-19) 2-1 on Sunday to eliminate the Owls from the tournament. The Gators will host the winner of the Tallahassee Regional in a best-of-three series starting on Friday.

“Today was a dogfight,” coach Kevin O’Sullivan said. “It was not easy. Elimination games are a valuable lesson to learn… and we’re excited about moving forward.”

Right-hander Alex Faedo (5-1) set a career high in strikeouts (six) and innings pitched (six). Senior Bobby Poyner pitched two scoreless innings and struck out four batters, and junior Taylor Lewis entered the game in the ninth inning after a 67-minute lightning delay to seal the victory.

“There’s always confidence with whatever guy we throw out there,” freshman JJ Schwarz said of UF’s pitching staff. “I just think the last few weeks the pitchers have all collectively clicked together, and I think it’s just rolling along into the playoffs.”

Schwarz led the Gators with one RBI and provided the go-ahead run in the sixth inning with a single to left field.

Five other Florida players recorded a hit, including senior Josh Tobias, who led the team with three. Tobias also scored UF’s first run after a FAU fielding error.

Florida’s Super Regional berth marked its seventh in school history and fifth in eight years under O’Sullivan.

After losing four-straight games in their last two Regional appearances combined, the Gators went 3-0 this postseason and gave up just three runs over the weekend.

“I think a lot of guys have been able to learn from the mistakes that we made in the past,” Poyner said. “I think the older guys are hungry to get back to playing well in the postseason and hopefully we reach the ultimate goal of winning a national championship.”

Follow Ian Cohen on Twitter @icohenb