Tuesday, March 19, 2024
<p class="p1">Florida players lean on the dugout railing while watching the Gators’ 14-5 win against South Carolina on April 13 at McKethan Stadium. Florida dropped the opener of its three-game series against LSU 3-2 on Thursday.</p>

Florida players lean on the dugout railing while watching the Gators’ 14-5 win against South Carolina on April 13 at McKethan Stadium. Florida dropped the opener of its three-game series against LSU 3-2 on Thursday.

Florida fell behind for the third straight game against Missouri. Unlike the previous two contests, Sunday’s series finale ended in UF’s first loss in two weeks. 

The Tigers (12-23, 5-13 Southeastern Conference) plated two runs off right-hander Tucker Simpson in the first inning on Sunday afternoon at Taylor Stadium in Columbia, Mo., to snap the Gators’ (22-19, 10-8 SEC) eight-game winning streak.

Simpson allowed two runs in 2.2 innings during UF’s 8-2 loss. The Florida offense wasted a chance to score in the fourth inning with runners on second and third with no outs. A strikeout, fly out and groundout ended the promising start to the fourth and changed the game.

“I thought that was the ball game to be quite honest with you,” coach Kevin O’Sullivan said. “It was a shame. We needed to put the ball in play.”

Freshman left-hander Parker Danciu replaced Simpson with the bases loaded and two outs in the bottom of the third. He induced an inning-ending ground ball to second baseman Casey Turgeon from catcher Dylan Kelly.

Before the ninth, Taylor Gushue’s solo home run off left-hander Jake Walsh marked Florida’s only run. Brady Roberson scored on a groundball from Turgeon in the ninth for UF’s second run on Sunday. Walsh allowed just three base runners in 3.2 innings of relief for the victory.

Right-hander John Miles earned his second save with a seven-out appearance.

Missouri scored two runs in each of its final three innings. It wasn’t a sharp performance from Florida without the solid defense and effective bullpen that became a fixture during its winning streak. Seven base runners reached on two-strike counts with three of those two-strike hits resulting in runs. A fielding error and a hesitant throw on a double play opportunity by third baseman Zack Powers led to two runs in the sixth. 

Despite the lackluster finale, there was plenty to be happy about. Florida has won three of its last four conference series. 

“We had a heck of a ball game [on Saturday] and came out here with a win in a 15-inning ball game with a lot of guys contributing,” O’Sullivan said. “We came from behind on Friday against a really good Friday night pitcher. All in all it was a successful weekend.”

Magliozzi closes in on school record: It took longer than usual on Saturday for Johnny Magliozzi to pick up his 11th save of the season. He not only tossed his first pitch in the 15th , but he also walked a batter, allowed a hit and threw a wild pitch. He stranded the tying and game-winning runs.

Florida hosts South Florida (26-14) Tuesday night at 7. Magliozzi sits two saves shy of the single season school record set by Danny Wheeler in 1994 and Josh Fogg in 1998.

“It’s not always going to be 1-2-3. I wouldn’t trade Mags for anybody in the country,” O’Sullivan said Saturday night. “I think that’s his 11th save on the year. He wants the ball. With the game on the line like that, I wouldn’t want anybody else having the ball for us.”

A radio broadcast contributed to this report.

Contact Adam Pincus at apincus@alligator.org.