<p>Kasey Hill goes up for a layup during Florida's 68-61 loss to No. 1 Kentucky on Saturday in the O'Connell Center.</p>

Kasey Hill goes up for a layup during Florida's 68-61 loss to No. 1 Kentucky on Saturday in the O'Connell Center.

Considering he was the team’s starting point guard, Kasey Hill seemed to disappear on the court last season.

Maybe it was the pressure of replacing former Florida guard Scottie Wilbekin as the team’s de facto ball handler or a loss of confidence when Hill found himself mired in a shooting funk that led to his underwhelming sophomore campaign.

Whatever the reason, Hill was hard on himself, perhaps to a detrimental level.

Even former coach Billy Donovan noticed a change in Hill’s approach when he was faced with adversity.

But this season, Hill is trying to erase expectations, choosing instead to focus on upgrading his skill set.

"I don’t really have many expectations," Hill said Tuesday at the team’s media day. "We just want to improve.

"I know that my main goal is proving everybody wrong."

After Florida’s first losing season in 16 years, Hill knows that most outside the program have written the Gators off.

But that is to be expected with the departure of Donovan, along with the losses of starting shooting guard Michael Frazier II and the highly touted yet ultimately disappointing Chris Walker.

From what he’s seen in the brief period he’s spent working with new coach Mike White, Hill believes the more up-tempo style of play White is installing will benefit his game to a greater extent.

White has taken notice of Hill’s speed as well.

He went as far as to say the Umatilla native possesses next-level athleticism that the Gators plan on utilizing to the fullest capacity.

"Chris Chiozza and Kasey Hill are two of the fastest guys out there in college basketball. Kasey Hill may be the fastest," White said.

"His speed and quickness, which are, to me, as fast as anybody in college basketball."

Redshirt junior DeVon Walker said he’s also noticed an improvement in Hill’s defensive intensity. Hill’s taken the onus upon himself to guard whoever he’s assigned, even if it’s the opponent’s best player or not.

"His energy is through the roof. He’s much more intense," Walker said.

"He’s ready to go out there and guard any guy that’s put in front of him. It’s just great to see him in this place right now."

With the physical tools in place, Hill has concentrated his efforts on becoming a more refined shooter.

A career 59.1 percent shooter from the free throw line, including a 52.6 percent mark last season, Hill has often proved unreliable from the charity stripe.

His ability to penetrate, get to the basket and draw a foul were often all for naught when Hill would fail to convert his foul shots.

Heading into the season, fixing Hill’s shot has become an early priority for White and his staff.

"Some of it is technique," White said. "We’ve messed with Kasey’s stroke a little bit. He’s been open to that.

"You’ve got to give him credit. He’s a junior in college, and he’s changed the way he’s shot the basketball for the last 15 years."

Kudos to Hill for being open to change, even though he’s under the impression that his low free throw percentage isn’t due to a flaw in his game.

"That was all mental. I’m a way better free throw shooter than what I showed last year," Hill said.

"I’m gonna show that this year."

Follow Graham Hall on Twitter @Graham311