<p>Devin Robinson dunks during Florida's 79-70 exhibition win against Barry</p>

Devin Robinson dunks during Florida's 79-70 exhibition win against Barry

Looking back at his team’s exhibition game, Florida basketball coach Billy Donovan pinpointed more than a few weaknesses.

One of those weakness was freshman forward Devin Robinson’s performance.

"The reason I was upset is I had a conversation with Devin before the exhibition game because I think what happens to a lot of freshmen is when they go in their first game there’s nerves, there’s anxiousness, they’re uptight in their first college game. Rightfully so, they all go through it," Donovan said.

"I tried to help him and help him understand when you do that you take your focus and your mind off what your job is and what’s going on. And I felt like when Devin got in the game it was just all about scoring."

In the exhibition game, Robinson made two of 10 field-goal attempts and just one of six three-point attempts.

The 6-foot-8 forward and five-star recruit out of Christchurch, Virginia, totaled three rebounds in 17 minutes played.

Robinson didn’t make a shot until the final six minutes of the game when he sank a three-pointer of a pass dished to him by point guard Kasey Hill.

"I felt like in the game and during the game and even after the game, I thought the things I tried to talk to Devin about, it’s not like he didn’t really heed my word," Donovan said.

Donovan said Robinson came to him in the locker room after the game to discuss his commitment to improving.

"I’ve always said this: There’s certain players you tell them it’s hot, don’t touch and they don’t touch it," Donovan said.

"There’s other guys you say hey it’s hot, don’t touch it and they want to touch it. And they find out what hot is and they learn that way. And I think Devin in that situation wanted to touch the stove."

Junior guard Michael Frazier II spoke with Robinson after the game about his performance.

Frazier said he told Robinson to settle down mentally.

"I think he put a lot of pressure on himself going into the game and he did some uncharacteristic things," Frazier said. "But he’s gotten better since we’ve been practicing so that’s very promising.

"We’re encouraged as a team to see him grow every day as well as (Chris) Chiozza. But it starts with the leaders, the older guys leading by example and show em how it’s supposed to be done."

Robinson wasn’t the only player who struggled defensively on Thursday.

Frazier said he noticed his own defense was lacking after he reviewed film from Barry.

"I think as a team we just got to focus on the defensive floor more, you know," Frazier said.

"We got a lot of scoring, we got a lot of talent, we’re going points but I think, myself included, we have to focus more on the defense end and communication."

Frazier snagged five total rebounds in 28 minutes played against Barry.

Moving forward to the Gators’ first non-exhibition matchup of the season, Donovan said the team’s communication and leadership has evolved from the struggles of the first weeks of practice.

He said the players are exhibiting more awareness and understanding.

"I think it’s still a work in progress," Donovan said. "I think it’s better today than it was last week and hopefully as the year goes on we’ll continue to get better."

Follow Erica Hernandez on Twitter @EricaAlyssa