<p>Devin Robinson smiles with UF coach Mike White in Florida's 65-39 win over Virginia in the Round of 32 in the NCAA Tournament on Saturday in Orlando. </p>

Devin Robinson smiles with UF coach Mike White in Florida's 65-39 win over Virginia in the Round of 32 in the NCAA Tournament on Saturday in Orlando. 

When Florida hired Mike White as the men’s basketball coach to take over for UF legend Billy Donovan, forward Devin Robinson had never heard White's name.

“I didn’t know who he was,” Robinson said.

Before Donovan left, he spoke with the forward, who was just a freshman at the time.

“He told me he was going to put us in a position that we weren’t going to be disappointed (in) as a team,” Robinson said. “So I listened.”

Two years later, White and Robinson are leading the Gators on a postseason push.

Robinson, UF’s third-best regular-season scorer, is shouldering the Gators’ offense, averaging 19 points per game through the first two rounds of the NCAA Tournament.

But it’s not just offense.

Robinson has admitted he “didn’t believe in playing defense” in his freshman and sophomore seasons. But now, the lengthy, athletic 6-foot-8 forward has broadened his abilities beyond just scoring and finishing acrobatic alley-oops. He’s upped his effort on defense and leads the Gators with nine rebounds per game through their first two tournament matchups.

“He’s looked himself in the mirror and made some decisions,” White said. “He’s going to try to defend and rebound at the highest possible level.”

Robinson wasn’t Florida’s main character during the regular season. That role was ascribed to leading scorer KeVaughn Allen or big-ticket transfer Canyon Barry.

But that hasn’t stopped Robinson from taking center stage in Florida’s March Madness run. Whether it’s scoring a season-high 24 points against East Tennessee State or spreading the story of White quoting Migos’ “Pipe It Up," Robinson has been at the forefront of Florida’s postseason presence.

“It’s just fun,” Robinson said. “We’re winning. Everyone’s playing together. It’s a loose and free atmosphere, and everyone’s focused on one goal.”

Tonight in New York City, the Gators’ goal will be defeating No. 8 seed Wisconsin, a team that’s coming off a huge upset win over last year’s champion and No. 1 seed Villanova.

“When I think of Wisconsin the past couple years, I think toughness, skill level, high-level defensive team, really consistent,” White said.

Really consistent is right. The Badgers (27-9) have made 19 consecutive NCAA Tournaments, while the Gators are playing their first in three seasons.

“I understand why a lot of people will pick Wisconsin in this one,” White said. “And I think our guys understand it too. Maybe it’s an added motivation. Maybe it’s not.

“Does it have anything to do with the outcome of the game? Heck, I don’t know.”

Matt Brannon is the assistant sports editor. Contact him at mbrannon@alligator.org, and follow him on Twitter @MattB_727.